Sunday, December 1, 2013

Weekend Retreat Point Salubrious, Chaumont,  NY
A watercolor painting of someone's  getaway for weekends and vacations which faces one of the bays on Lake Ontario. It was a windy day in September and three PAPTIR  participants were guests at another participant's home nearby. We all were wearing coats and hats and I was able to find a bench along the shoreline where  I could sit with my back to the wind while painting. I also painted with the 11" x 15" paper on a support on my lap, having had past experiences with my stand up easel blowing over in that kind of breeze. The painting was selected as one of five  featured weekly paintings on www.pleinairpainters.ning.com  when I posted it there. I started out with watercolors when I formed Plein Air Painters Thousand Islands Region (PAPTIR) in 2009.  But in July that year,  we had a formal paint out  at Boldt Castle on Heart Island (Alexandria Bay NY) in the middle of the St Lawrence River, and I had brought oils and watercolors but forgot my watercolor palette. So I did my first oil painting plein air and continued to use oils for four years, now occasionally I do a watercolor.Watercolor outdoors adds the challenge of the paper drying faster and less chance of rework.

No comments:

Post a Comment