Wednesday, December 11, 2013

More about Great Camp Sagamore Painting

Morning Coffee and Sketching before the Breakfast Bell
 The photo at the left is by Suzette Usher, a fellow NY Plein Air Painter attending the Sept 2013 Painting Retreat at Great Camp Sagamore. I was early for breakfast  which they literally ring the bell for at 8 AM. Coffee is always available for early risers and I was enjoying my first cup and sketching the view out the window.. Suzi   said she liked the way the light was illuminating me and took the pic. Funny how light can make your hair look grayer than it is. The scene out the window I was sketching is painted below- Lake Sagamore. I did the painting after breakfast and checkout on Sunday Morning. The lake surface was very still and there was a nice reflection of the mountains. Eventually a breeze rippled the surface of the lake, erasing the reflection closest to the mountains so I painted it that way. I finished about noon,  which was opening time for the gift shop where I found some nice items.My favorite I brought back was a large
Lake Sagamore at Great camp Sagamore
scotch glass with  GREAT CAMP SAGAMORE and a row of Fir trees circling the glass in gold color. Starting the drive back home took me through Eagle Bay NY and it was lunch time. I saw a small eating hole with a bunch of cars parked outside-a good sign. It's called HARD TIMES CAFE. I passed on the table seating and ate at the bar with a cool draft while my order was being prepared. I highly recommend the black bean and mushroom soup which is a meal in itself. My entree was fried clam strips, something I had not had for years. The prices were extremely reasonable reflecting the  name HARD TIMES CAFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment