Sunday, December 8, 2013

Water Falls and Rapids Philadelphia NY

Top of the Falls Indian River Philadelphia NY

 In my last post I showed a studio painting of the Indian River Rapids painted  from a Fall photo. Here are some plein air paintings  of the waterfall I mentioned and the close up of the rapids above the falls which I did May 1, 2013 on a PAPTIR  paint out. as mentioned in the last post.. At the bottom is another falls called  "The Chute" by locals. It was  painted with a knife in August 2012 at another PAPTIR paint out. My only painting buddy that day was Diane Burpee  (Orleans in the summer, St Louis in the winter). Diane really has to keep a watch out out for poison ivy and there was some in the area.
The Chute is located behind the hydro electric facility and a little farther away, the sewage treatment plant (never an odor any time I have been there). There were two boys and a girl swimming  in the pool  at the bottom of the Chute while I painted. Earlier I  had talked to the operator of the treatment plant about the Chute. He said a winter view would have beautiful ice formations. He also told me where to find a third waterfall  on the other side of town, on the road just before the   school complex. I will have to search it out. For years  I commuted from Endicott NY to our place on Wellesley Island on the St Lawrence River in the 1000 Islands Region, and pretty much stuck to site seeing along the river.Only in the last five years after forming Plein Air Painters Thousand Islands Region (PAPTIR) have I discovered the beauty of the region beyond the shores  of the River. I hope to show you my paintings of these discoveries in future posts.                                                                                                                                                      
Indian River Rapids above the Fall Philadelphia NY
The Chute-Indian River at Philadelphia NY

No comments:

Post a Comment